Paying for Training

The days of free Diploma training for the sector are now long behind us. So how do you train your workforce to make sure you have a highly qualified staff to support your service delivery and CQC requirements?

If you have staff that need quality Diploma training, CareSkills can do this either as an Apprenticeship with an effective government subsidy equal to 90% of the total cost, or on a fully costed commercial basis. Each has its merits.


The Apprenticeship route requires a direct payment of £300 which is equal to 10% of the cost of the Apprenticeship, with the government paying the other 90%. If your organisation does not pay the Apprenticeship Levy, this £300 plus VAT is a one off cash payment. In addition to the advantage of the government subsidy, Apprenticeships will also help improve the English and maths skills of your staff.

However, be advised that when deciding if an Apprenticeship is the right route for your organisation, you need to factor in the costs associated with the 20% Off the Job requirement, and remember to factor in the cost of cover for the Apprentice whilst they are undertaking the Off the Job training.

For more detail on the requirements of the current Apprenticeship programme, click here

Commercial Diploma programme

The fully costed commercial route is our competitively priced Diploma only training programme at levels 2, 3, and 5. Training programmes last from 12-18 months depending on the level and sectoral experience of the learner and are delivered on a one to one basis in the workplace and at times to suit the needs of your organisation. Our prices are competitive, and can be paid in monthly instalments over the lifetime of the learning programme. Accessing the Skills for Care Workforce Development Fund will allow you to recover some of the direct costs of the training programme.

Typically an employee on a commercial Diploma programme with CareSkills will have a monthly one to one learning session of up to 2 hours duration, tailored to their needs, with support via phone or email inbetween the sessions. In addition to learning time at work, learners on the commercial programme are expected to study in their own time and complete tasks inbetween sessions.

Enroling an employee on our commercial programme has the big advantage that without the Off the Job training hours requirement, the total cost of training to your organisation is significantly reduced compared to the Apprenticeship programme. This cost reduction can amount to several thousand pounds once you factor in all payroll costs for both the learner and cover.

If you would like to speak with someone about your organisation’s training needs, please click here